Old 16-12-2009, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge[_2_] Rusty Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Heron raid!

On 2009-12-16 15:17:43 +0000, "~Brian~" said:

Sacha wrote:
We were just finishing lunch (well, a sandwich) when Ray spluttered
and nearly dropped his water glass. He'd seen a heron stalking SNIP

I know how you feel, I had my pond completely emptied by a largish
heron 2
years ago (20 odd fish). They are always coming back but touch wood
Ive been
up to their tactics since!

Usually, they're early morning visitors. Either this one is excessively
bold or excessively hungry!

Yesterday, one dropped by a pond about twenty yards from where I was
walking.

Remember, when a heron alights, it always does so some distance from the
water, then walks in. To deter them, drive some pegs into the ground a
few inches from the margin, and tightly run a strand of thin nylon
fishing-line round the pond at about four to five inches above the ground.

As it steps towards the water, the heron will feel it against its foot
and fly off in alarm.

--
Rusty