Old 16-12-2009, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
~Brian~ ~Brian~ is offline

Default Heron raid!

On 2009-12-16 15:17:43 +0000, "~Brian~" said:

Sacha wrote:
We were just finishing lunch (well, a sandwich) when Ray spluttered
and nearly dropped his water glass. He'd seen a heron stalking
SNIP

I know how you feel, I had my pond completely emptied by a largish
heron 2 years ago (20 odd fish). They are always coming back but
touch wood Ive been up to their tactics since!

Usually, they're early morning visitors. Either this one is
excessively bold or excessively hungry!

I am normally up at around 5.00am and was just about to have my first coffee
of the day and I saw it by the pond, wow! was it ever big, must have emtied
the pond before I saw it. As I walked out to shoo it of it took to the air.
They come in from the local marshes and the estuary. Touch wood have not
seen one in ages.