Old 19-12-2009, 06:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default moving indoor ficus tree outside?

On 12/19/2009 9:42 AM, JayDee wrote:
On Dec 10, 7:48 pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:
On 12/10/2009 5:58 PM, JayDee wrote:

I've had aficustree in the corner of a room with large west and
north views for a couple years now, but i'd like to move it onto the
balcony with the same view(it's getting a bit large for the room) .
i'm not sure what kind officusit is so if anyone can help with ID,
that'd be great. I live in southern california, so weather is usually
pretty mild (except lately!)

I knowficustrees are sensitive just by being moved, so I'm wondering
if it will be happy outside...

thanks!

- jd

Where in southern California?

If you are in a coastal area (e.g, Oxnard, Malibu, Redondo Beach,
Laguna), it should do okay.

If you are in an inland valley (e.g., San Fernando, San Gabriel,
Riverside), it should be in a location that is shady most of the day.
Summer sunshine will be too strong. It should also be in an area that
is protected from winter frosts.

If you are in a mountain area (other than the Santa Monica Mountains),
it should be indoors during the winter.

MyFicusbenjamina (weeping Chinese banyan, a common indoorficus) was
in a large flower pot on my front porch, well under cover. It got some
direct sun for about 2-3 hours a day. It did very well. Three years
ago, during the Great Freeze of '07, all top growth was killed.
Although some shoots started to sprout near the soil, I replaced it.
Even after sprouting, it could still fail from the freeze damage.

Hi David! Thanks for your reply. I live in Hollywood and the view is
northwest. As far as coverage, it will be on my balcony, half covered
on the top. As you know, it gets really windy hear very occasionally,
but frost really isn't a problem, ever. Is it generally ok to make
these types of trees full-time outdoor after always having lived full-
time indoor?
and if doesn't like it, i guess i could always bring it back in to
revive.

In Hollywood, a ficus should do very well outdoors. Your climate is
much more moderated than mine, and my ficus does very well outdoors. It
will "resent" being moved from indoors and will likely drop many leaves.
Although it will look shabby for a while, it will recover. Just don't
over-water or over-feed; there really is nothing you can do to speed the
recovery.

Facing north-west, it might get the brunt of winter rains. If you make
sure the pot drains well and that any container in which the pot sits
does not accumulate too much water, this will not be a problem.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean