Old 18-04-2003, 06:44 AM
Kristen

Default Corn

FDR wrote:

Oh, one more thing. What did you do to prepare the soil for the corn? I
understand that corn is a heavy feeder and needs rich soil. I'd love to get
some horse manure from one of the local farms in the Syracuse area but I
don't know where or how to ask for it. Then there's the transporting of it
too.

Nice to meet you, Rob (stay away from basements there in Dewitt, ok?
(local news reference) ).
As for soil prep, last year I went to Hafner's Garden Center on Taft
Road and bought a few bags of composted manure, and the corn grew really
well - but the summer was HOT. We have heavy clay soil up here (in
Clay! go figure), so I'm adding more (of something... anything!) this
year. There's a place up on Route 31 that always has a sign out for
free manure - I see Shetland Ponies in their enclosure, so I assume it's
horse manure. I may stop by and take them up on the offer if I can
borrow a pickup truck & offer the truck lender a free car wash.
If you don't mind... is Newark too far north to eat white corn? It
seems to be a regional preference, and I grew up on Silver Queen from
farmer's markets and roadside stands - not many of those around the
Syracuse, NY area! I can always identify South Jersey people by their
corn preference (and pronunciation of water as "wooder").

-Kristen