Old 20-12-2009, 12:03 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
[email protected] martine.peters@uqo.ca is offline

Default Cold!

On 17 déc, 10:58, ~ jan wrote:
Hiya Ingrid! :-) Have the temps been that moderate there?

We often say they sometimes died for no apparent reason. Better that then
finding them 1/2 alive and going thru all the stress of trying to save th

em
only to have them die anyway... imho.

I have a question, does koi pox go away when the temps get real cold?
Noticed it on one koi this fall, one I've had for several years. Got a pe

ek
the other day and didn't see them (can't say it was the best peek) so I
might be mistaken. ~ jan

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 09:15:18 EST, wrote:
Well covered my pond finally this last Saturday. Went out to check th

e temp on the
pond Monday (went from 42 to 46 in 1 day) and found my first dead koi in

8 or 9
years. used 2 different ammonia kits, nothing. too cold to do much

of anything at
all. The koi was too far gone to do a necropsy on it. bummer. I

ngrid
Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan
on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:www.jjspond.us

Well, we have been having a really cold spell (minus 20 for the last
three days!). The hole in the pond got completly covered over. This
morning, I went out with the pick and opened up the whole and.... fell
through the ice! Luckily, I had my husband's boots and so was not in
my little suede boots that would have become blocks of ice!
But the good news is that at least, the pond is not freezing up, the
snow I keep piling on top must help. I have a feeling I will have to
keep picking at the hole to keep it open all winter. Just hope I don't
poke a whole in my liner!
Jim, if you can get a thermomether, I will very gladly send you a
check for it.
Martine