Old 20-12-2009, 02:33 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Cold!

" wrote:

-snip-

Well, we have been having a really cold spell (minus 20 for the last
three days!).

I think if I lived north of the border I'd use F in the winter. It
would warm you up 16 degrees.g

The hole in the pond got completly covered over. This
morning, I went out with the pick and opened up the whole and.... fell
through the ice!

Aside from the dangers of falling through & poking a hole in your
liner- I read somewhere that pounding on the ice would harm the fish.
Any fishkeepers care to comment on that?

My little pond is only about 200 gallons and the 1000w stock tank
heater I float in it is overkill- but I only use it when it is going
below 15F [-10C] for a few days running with no daytime thaw.
Otherwise the heat from the pump keeps things flowing.

For you southern folks- and folks who 'winterize' their ponds and pull
the pumps, I took a few photos today to show you what you're missing.
http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/l...%20Pug%20Pond/

It is ever-changing sights like these that keep us snowbirds from all
running south.

Jim