Old 20-12-2009, 11:34 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Cold!

Aside from the dangers of falling through & poking a hole in your
liner- I read somewhere that pounding on the ice would harm the fish.
Any fishkeepers care to comment on that?

Yes, that is my understanding. Just like depth charges going off around a
submarine so I've heard.

For you southern folks- and folks who 'winterize' their ponds and pull
the pumps, I took a few photos today to show you what you're missing.
http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/l...%20Pug%20Pond/

Great pics Jim! The problem with screens, I can't see the surface like
that. We have warmed up into the low 40's and staying above freezing at
night. Today I went out and checked the lily pond for the first time in a
long while. Interestingly there appeared to be more thick ice around the
heater and bubbler than anywhere else. I do think that corner, if the area
gets any sun at all due to the 6 foot fence, doesn't get much due to
neighbor's ever green trees. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us