Old 20-12-2009, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Beautiful day!

On 2009-12-20 12:13:54 +0000, "Phil Gurr" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
It's bright and sunny here without a cloud in the sky. It was cold last
night but not as cold as it has been and the wind has dropped entirely.
But despite a couple of freezing nights, the tree ferns still have all
their green fronds and are looking very fresh and happy. I wonder how long
that can last! We're shut for 2 weeks and it's quite nice to have the
place to ourselves just for that short time. Now we wait for the
'promised' snow - I wonder if it will get this far after all. How's
everyone else doing - snow or otherwise? Ah well - soon be spring if the
alliums coming through are anything to go by!

Sacha,

Have some of our snow! It's been snowing more or less continuously for 36
hours here and we have between 8" and 12" (depending on where you measure
it). Fortunately no wind, so there is a good blanket of insulation on the
greenhouse. Many of the local roads are closed but the main road into
Inverness (40 miles south) is passable with care, providing you go via the
A.9 through Tain. There seems to be a lot more to come if you look at the
radar. I've finished my Christmas shopping and the perishable food will be
delivered on Wednesday, but we are more used to this weather up here!

Phil
Northern Highlands of Scotland

I wouldn't mind a couple of inches of snow just to feel Christmassy but
you can keep the rest thanks! It sounds quite daunting to me but as
you say, it's a question of what one's used to!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com