Old 20-12-2009, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge[_2_] Rusty Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Heron raid!

Pete Stockdale wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Only too happy to keep topping up my pond with fish if attracts Herons
and Kingfishers :-)

But I have some pretty ones in there that I..........oh, never mind!
We've never had Kingfishers here and I doubt we would. The land around
us is too open, I think.
Larry - perhaps you would be happy to keep topping up mine as well .

I do not reckon any of these wire surround systems work ultimately
anyway.
If it is a low affair , they step over. If it is a high affair, they fly
over.

You have to put it right next to the pond, they don't like flying into
water. A fake Heron also works but you have to keep moving it around the
pond otherwise the real one will smell a rat.

I must confess that I have not tried the moving fake - but it seems a bit
risky to me.
Sorry - but round here the have overcome the dislike of flying in to the
water.
Plan 3c - this summer, is to chicken net over the whole pond.

I hve never known a heron to fly straight into water - and I've been
watching them since the 1950s.

We are well-favoured with harnsers here, and while I won't claim they
are a daily visitor, seldom does a week go by without one dropping in to
a pond's or a stream's bank within my sight.

--
Rusty