Old 20-12-2009, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pete Stockdale Pete Stockdale is offline

Default Heron raid!

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
On 2009-12-16 17:58:37 +0000, (Larry Stoter) said:

Sacha wrote:

We were just finishing lunch (well, a sandwich) when Ray spluttered
and
nearly dropped his water glass. He'd seen a heron stalking
purposefully
across the lawn towards the old fish pond. By the time he got to the
back door it had reached the pond and it flew off as he shouted and
clapped his hands. I'm pretty sure it ws clasping something in its
beak. Why they can't use the River Dart which is all of 2 miles away,
I don't know!
Only too happy to keep topping up my pond with fish if attracts Herons
and Kingfishers :-)

Larry
But I have some pretty ones in there that I..........oh, never mind!
We've never had Kingfishers here and I doubt we would. The land around
us is too open, I think.

Larry - perhaps you would be happy to keep topping up mine as well .

I do not reckon any of these wire surround systems work ultimately
anyway.
If it is a low affair , they step over. If it is a high affair, they fly
over.

Regards
Pete(with heroned out pond)
www.thecanalshop.com

They do work - every time. The herons either don't see them, or don't
understand what they see.

--

In the case of low ones how can they possibly work every time if the herons
step over an unseen one

You also wrote

"I have never known a heron to fly straight into water - and I've been
watching them since the 1950s."

Well, you would add another sighting to your repertoire if you twitched at
my pond !

You have obviously not yet come across the right factors of
depth of water, a visual on the fish and the pond bottom.

I must confess that the aerial dynamics could be more aptly described as an
ungamely extended flappy hop
as compared with straight flight.
It still gives them a two or three foot lift over a fence.
btw --- current pro- built heron cover, tailored to shape of my pond
quote - £620 (:-(

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com