Old 21-12-2009, 01:41 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default vinegar for weeds?

"Trish Brown" wrote in message
0tterbot wrote:
i was just surprised to read in the smh you can spray weeds with white
vinegar, (to kill them, not to make them taste better ;-)

surprised, because i haven't ever heard such a thing!!!

has anyone tried this? i am having increasing problems with sheep sorrel
& had intended to spray them with zero once the leaves are growing again,
but would be more than pleased to give vinegar a go instead. i'm not big
on zero but i can't think of a better way to deal with the sheep sorrel,
which is becoming out of control & virtually impossible to clear by
hand-weeding & grows in places that can't be solarised. i also get some
kind of weedy clover thing in my paths, which annoys me beyond endurance.

thanks in advance~
kylie

I reckon white vinegar won't help anything growing nearby and if you use
enough of it, it might wind up changing the pH of your soil.

well, i went without saying that you're supposed to keep it off the soil &
off other plants, trish :-) equally you need to keep zero off everything
else too... (including oneself, which wouldn't be a problem with vinegar).

My granny
used boiling water on stubborn weeds and it was 100% effective. Not very
nice for the worms, though...

boiling water is excellent for broadleaf weeds or grass clumps, that's what
i use. it will kill anything (yes, including the wee creatures nearby) but
it's just not practical for any upstanding plant, you can't get the water
onto it properly. a steamer thingy would be cool, but i'm not getting one of
those!
thanks!
kylie