Old 21-12-2009, 02:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Timothy Murphy Timothy Murphy is offline

Default Remote weather station

I'm taking the liberty of repeating a query
I sent to this list some time ago.

I've been reading the list since then
(at the time it had been suggested to me elsewhere
that my query should be directed here),
and am fascinated by the quantity of data reported.
How do you all collect it?

But my query was (and is):
Does anyone have experience of a weather station
sending back information over the internet,
preferably by WiFi through a WiFi-enabled ADSL modem,
but possibly by USB connection to a remote computer?

The general advice that I have received
is that the Davis Wireless Weather Station VP2
is the best choice, though it requires an additional dongle
if it is to send information back directly over the internet
(through an ADSL modem accepting WiFi input).

I'm not very clear how the apparatus is actually set up,
eg whether one can just put it on the roof,
or if it has to be mounted someway from the house?

Any advice or enlightenment gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net