Old 21-12-2009, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

Default Beautiful day!

On 20 Dec, 11:23, Sacha wrote:
It's bright and sunny here without a cloud in the sky. *It was cold
last night but not as cold as it has been and the wind has dropped
entirely. *But despite a couple of freezing nights, the tree ferns
still have all their green fronds and are looking very fresh and happy.
*I wonder how long that can last! *We're shut for 2 weeks and it's
quite nice to have the place to ourselves just for that short time. *
Now we wait for the 'promised' snow - I wonder if it will get this far
after all. *How's everyone else doing - snow or otherwise? *Ah well -
soon be spring if the alliums coming through are anything to go by!
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.

Just a light dusting of snow on Saturday, but cold (for this neck of
the woods in North Wales) Minus 2 over Saturday night and hovering +/-
2 since.
I've been using the time to make a fence/trellis along our roadside
and up to the house to replace a nearly derelict Leylandii hedge we
inherited when we came here 9 months ago. The Leylandii will be
replaced by some old climbing roses on the fence and a modest
collection of old shrub roses in the borders in front. They're all
selected for health and perfume so it's going to be quite something.
Can't be many more rewarding ways of passing some cold days than
setting about a Leylandii hedge with a chainsaw and a tirfor winch -
most of the roots came out more or less intact so at least along the
roadside preparing the border shouldn't be too difficult. The part
across the 'lawn' up to the house is made ground and it's almost all
stones, rocks and builders' rubble so that's a pick axe job for a few
more cold days.
After 40 odd years of gardening for other people and no proper garden
of our own I'm surprised to find myself enjoying gardening at home
even more than when I was working despite the much smaller scale.

Rod