Old 21-12-2009, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Do YOU .........

On 2009-12-21 17:36:17 +0000, "Bob Hobden" said:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote

"Bob Hobden" contains these words:

The root cause of CO2 is population, so why are we in this Country still
paying people to have children? ( the Chinese alone are doing something
about this and should be applauded)

Hardly! The Chinese policy has led to the killing of many unwanted
girl children. Within one generation,
it has led to a serious social imbalance (too many males, not enough
partners for them); and there is also concern, among the
Chinese, for the future social consequences of so many only-child males
who have been spoiled rotten and brought up to
think they are the centre of the universe.

That is because the Chinese, like a lot of countries believe that male
heirs are the most important thing in their lives and they will just
have to get over it or die out. Certainly, as it's going, there will be
an even bigger reduction in people in China as there simply won't be
the ladies to have the next generation. All good stuff for the
environment IMO.
As for spoiling their male heirs rotten and bringing them up like Gods,
happens already with a number of peoples, Chinese, Indians, even some
ethnic English families do it. Obviously a throwback but people will
get over it eventually, they will have to.
So often when I was at work the Indian ladies would say, "my husband
does nothing in the house", to which I would reply "so what are you
teaching your son and making him do? Ironing? Cooking? Cleaning? etc".
To a person they just continued to perpetuate the problem.

When we were in China last year our Chinese guide who was a young woman
of 23, with a degree in tourism, She gave us some information on the
birth control regime that was new to us. I'd be interested to know if
anyone else has heard of this. She said that most people were
encouraged to have one child; that army officers could have two and
that ethnic minorities could have 3. To me, this seems unlikely, as to
the ethnic minorities but when visiting China, one is warned not to say
anything critical of the government, so we didn't express scepticism.
OTOH, we were in Xian to see the Terracotta Warriors and among many
other things, we visited a Muslim quarter where there was a thriving
bazaar and a mosque, set in a most beautiful and tranquil garden.
--
Sacha