Old 22-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Granity Granity is offline
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hogg View Post
On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 08:54:44 +0000, (Larry Stoter)
wrote:

alan.holmes
wrote:

It's a right pain, this global warming, we only had three inches of snow
yesterday, and the temperature rose to 2 degrees!

Alan

Indeed, and, if you bother to investigate some of the details, you will
discover that an increase in the average global temperature by 2 deg C
could still end up with pack ice in the straights of Dover and icebergs
off Newcastle.

That is what an average means - with 4 to 5 deg increases in parts of
Africa, it is going to get colder in other places. The real problem is
it is impossible to predict what is going to happen where ......

Anyway, with the total failure of the world's so-called leaders in
Copenhagen, you don't have anything to worry about - homo sapiens is
buggered without a doubt. Within 100 years, there will be unprecedented
climate change, unquestionably. My guess is that in climate terms, we in
the UK won't do too badly, apart from the 100 million people from
southern Europe and N Africa moving North. If we think immigration is a
problem now, wait until 2110, when half the population of Portugal,
Spain, Italy and France will have decided that the warm, wet UK is a
better bet than than the deserts of their own countries.

The only consolation I can see is that lareg parts of the southern USA,
especially Texas will be under water .....

Personally, I don't care - I'll be dead long before then and have no
kids to worry about, so I'm going to keep generating CO2 and methane, to
help the rest of you.

Larry

LOL. My sentiments to a T! I could have written it word for word, but
probably less succinctly, with the exception that we're fairly modest
in our CO2 generation, and as for the methane....well, that depends on
what I had for lunch :-)

The only hope is a massive pandemic of Black Death proportions, that
removes about two-thirds of the world's population. But even that
might not work. It's the poorer countries that tend to suffer in those
circumstances, as they have poorer living conditions, are more
susceptible to disease and can't afford the medicines, unlike the rich
countries. But it's the rich countries that produce most of the CO2.

"We're doomed Mr Mainwairing, doomed I say".

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

An interesting report: http://scienceandpublicpolicy.org/or...not_cause.html

And more in depth: http://landshape.org/enm/modeling-global-warming/