Old 22-12-2009, 05:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
raymuser raymuser is offline

Default Bird feeder in snow

On Dec 22, 5:30*am, wrote:
On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 06:42:49 -0500, Phisherman
wrote:

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 13:20:39 -0500, Frank
wrote:

Bill's post on winter when it snows prompted me to upload this taken
yesterday:

http://home.comcast.net/~frank.logullo/feeder.jpg

Home made bird feeder temporarily rests on deck rails as I take it down
in the spring when I start container gardening. *Had to rebuild and
secure with a bungee cord as raccoons have knocked it down.

http://home.comcast.net/~frank.logullo/thief.pdf

I no longer feed the birds. *It draws too many undesirable varmits
onto my deck and makes a seed/poop mess. *I still get lots of birds
because of the large trees, berry bushes, pond, etc.

I feed the birds etc out by the compost pile. Everything is welcome,
including the poop. - Hide quoted text -

My bird feeders are hanging from a tree, including a water tray.
Problem for me in So Cal is the squirrels. I also have raccoons in
the area, but they haven't tried getting into my bird feeders yet,
although they have been seen climbing this tree in the past.

I have come up with some solutions that seem to be working now. One
of my earliest attempts that failed was a cage to surround the
feeder. As shown in this YouTube video, this squirrel had to problem
jumping on the cage and reaching his target. Other videos show a
progression of designs and obstacles that have been attempted and have
worked at least to some extent. This feeder hangs over a brick
terrace that can easily be cleaned whenever needed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIMlYg5Nuyk

Ray