Old 24-12-2009, 12:14 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default mulch colour

. au...
)
I used to mulch with stable manure (mixed liberally with wood-shavings)
and it remains my favourite mulch to this day. Sadly, we no longer keep
horses, so I've had to revert to paddock-pickings (ie pure poo) to bring
home and rot. This feels *much* hotter to me than the shavings mixture.
I'd never discussed it with anyone before, but I think we've hit upon
something here. Would it be worth investing in a bale of sugar cane
mulch to cover the poo thinly and (perhaps?) reduce the temp?

Otterbot has a problem with bloody choughs so I'd recommend rice hulls
rather than sugar cane mulch. Rice hulls are so tiny they seem to have
prolbems chucking it around.

i've still not got round to trying a bit of that!! (am i not slack?) i can
think of 1001 uses to try it, naturally. i will get some!

One thing I never knew about choughs till I
was told and then actually watched them, is that choughs only use their
beaks for chucking stuff and never use their feet to rake stuff.

well they certainly do an admirable job with beaks alone.

lately i have seen some of those evil, red-eyed *******s lurking in the
orchard. grrrr! christ, they're a loathesome bird.
ta!
kylie