Old 24-12-2009, 05:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
JayDee JayDee is offline

Default moving indoor ficus tree outside?

On Dec 23, 6:07*pm, csd wrote:
On 12/10/2009 5:58 PM, JayDee wrote:

I've had aficustree in the corner of a room with large west and
north views for a couple years now, but i'd like to move it onto the
balcony with the same view(it's getting a bit large for the room) .
i'm not sure what kind officusit is so if anyone can help with ID,
that'd be great.

Without a picture, if it is the common fig we see in the shopping
malls, it is Ficus benjamina, the weeping fig. The modern cultivars
are less likely to shed their leaves than the original species. By the
way, if your tree gets too big, you can prune it, like any tree. The
sap is latex, but don't let that stop you.

My Ficus benjamina (weeping Chinese banyan, a common indoor ficus)

Chinese banyan is Ficus microcarpa, an entirely different species. The
leaves are rounder on the tips and much thicker than Ficus benjamina.
It probably tolerates more sun.
Iris

judging by my poking around the 'net, I'm pretty sure I've got a
benjamina. The leaves come to a point and have some waves. In fact,
some of them come to a point, then have what looks like a little stem
at the tip of the leaf. I have a bougenvillia on my balcony, but it's
not doing very well and I'd like to replace it with something livelier
and since my ficus is taking up lots of room in my bedroom, I thought
that'd be a good choice.

bottom line... i want to have a happy tree! if you all think it will
be just as happy sitting on my balcony and won't resent me for moving
it outside of a little initial leaf loss, i think i will be ok. in
other words, just wanted to make sure these trees are just as happy
outdoors as they are inside.

thanks for all your input and have very HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

- jd