Old 24-12-2009, 08:32 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default mulch colour

wrote:
On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 18:24:21 +1100, "David Hare-Scott"

You shouldn't use fresh manure on the garden. Let it compost for 5
or 6 months first.

Why?

Because during composting, some nutrients will be removed from the
soil.

I suspect you are thinking of nitrogen draw-down which can happen if very
low nitrogen plant material (eg straw, sawdust) is dug in before composting.

Manure, especially bird and rabbit, has a much higher nitrogen content than
the soil and can readily supply all the nutrients required for microbial
decomposition without drawing from the soil.

I wouldn't apply fresh chicken manure (it is better added to the compost
heap) because of the high nitrogen content as it can easily burn young and
tender plants but I apply horse anytime. This is fairly common practice in
some places and no ill effects have been reported.

David