Old 25-12-2009, 01:20 AM posted to aus.gardens
Trish Brown Trish Brown is offline

Default mulch colour

David Hare-Scott wrote:

snip

I wouldn't apply fresh chicken manure (it is better added to the compost
heap) because of the high nitrogen content as it can easily burn young
and tender plants but I apply horse anytime. This is fairly common
practice in some places and no ill effects have been reported.

David

Yeah, I've used it straight from the - ah - supplier with no probs. The
only thing I have observed is that it's better not to pack it too close
to rose stems. Mine got a bit soggy around the edges, but clearing the
HP away fixed the problem.

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia