Old 26-12-2009, 06:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
mleblanca mleblanca is offline

Default Are you as daft as me?

"Gardenjunkie" wrote:
So, who else will be as daft as me on Christmas day

It was a beautiful Christmas Day here in Northern Sacramento Valley
in California. It got to 50 in the sunshine, so that's where I
stayed.
No vegies planted here, broccoli is doing fine and that is it. But I
did
spend most of the afternoon doing my "pre-rose pruning" Cutting them
back to about 4 feet and then stripping the remaining leaves off.
I found lots of little narcissus noses peeking up; the birds were
singing
and enjoying the nice day also.(It was 25 overnight and the bird baths
were frozen solid so I did thaw them out, so birdies could drink)
About 3pm it started to get a little colder, so I had my tea and XMas
cake, and went in to look at catalogs and start my Long List.

Christmas Bloomers were few this year, due to the 19 degree nights.
Roses were not anythin;g but buds, most of which got cut off.
Camellias are starting: PinkPerfection and Jordan's Pride.
Gaillardia is valiantly hanging on with a few passable blooms.
Pansies and violas are going strong. A few early flowers on the
Loropetalum.
Emilie
NorCal