Old 27-12-2009, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default New Year's Day flower count

On 2009-12-27 12:38:34 +0000, Gopher said:

In message , Sacha writes
Anyone else going to do the flower count on 1st Jan? If Ray isn't up
to it I'll struggle round on my own. ;-)

We'll probably squelch our way round our very soggy patch in Dorset.
Clay can be helpful under some conditions but not under those which
have recently prevailed. Returning the other day from NZ where spring
and early summer were the order of the day, current weather is
something of a shock! We have a bad case of lupinitis - they were
wonderful!

Oh, I'm SO glad you saw them! They're a wonderful sight and although
the natives tend to think of them as a pest, I think they've also
realised that we tourists are just blown away by the sight and scent.
Where did you go, what did you see etc?!

It seems we could all be in for quite an exciting period of weather
over the next few days so, just in case we are all under the white
stuff at the appointed hour - may we wish you a happy, peaceful and
healthy 2010!!

I've just done a brief walk round part of the garden with my daughter
and her little boy and it's getting very cold with a brisk wind that
doesn't help one bit. The Camellia we think is 'Cherub' (I think Bob
Hobden ID'd that for us) is in flower and Camellia japonica Takanini is
covered in buds, though I think some of the opening ones have been
frosted. It's a fantastic plant and even though ours is still a baby,
it seems to go on flowering for a long period and is covered with buds.
It has a couple of dead flowers on it too, so it does seem to be very
good value in terms of length of flowering.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com