Old 27-12-2009, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default How easy is it to propagate a bay tree?

On 27 Dec, 17:49, K wrote:
David WE Roberts writes

We have a laurel/bay bush in our back garden (which is actually a tree
which has been cut down to a stump and then regrown as a bush).

I have some other bushes in tubs but they have a different scent and I
particularly like the one in our back garden.

However it may have to go because it is really in the wrong place for
our redesigned rear area.
Obviously being a truncated tree it cannot be lifted and moved.

http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs...aurel.htmmakes it sound
quite difficult to propagate (however as they can't even get their
Farenheit/Centigrade conversions right I don't know how much to trust
them).

Of the three options, I don't see any seeds and layering may take too
long (although air layering is not mentioned, which might be an option)
so cuttings seems to be the best bet.

Has anyone had success taking cuttings from bay?

Yes, and I'm fairly slapdash with cuttings. Just take a lot. Some will
grow.

How do I tell which type of bay it is?

If it's an edible bay tree, it will smell like bay, and have leaves that
are about 8cm long and 3-4cm wide.

If it's a cherry laurel, it'll have leaves that are nearer 15 cm long,
7cm wide, thicker and glossier.

Portuguese laurel I have no experience with.

The web site above describes it as a bush but the trunk was pretty big
and the bay trees around this area seem to be just that - trees.

Yes, they grow to trees, and grow quite rapidly - ours is giving the
leylandii a good run for their money.

--
Kay- Hide quoted text -

I wouldn't wory about propagating it, you now quite often see pots of
Bay with several plants to a pot in the "Sheds" as well as stores like
Lidl and Aldi, they are cheap much easier than trying to propagate..
David Hill