Old 27-12-2009, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts David WE Roberts is offline

Default How easy is it to propagate a bay tree?

"K" wrote in message
David WE Roberts writes

snip

How do I tell which type of bay it is?

If it's an edible bay tree, it will smell like bay, and have leaves that
are about 8cm long and 3-4cm wide.

If it's a cherry laurel, it'll have leaves that are nearer 15 cm long, 7cm
wide, thicker and glossier.

Portuguese laurel I have no experience with.

snip

Plants in tubs - leaf 70mm long and 30mm wide. No obvious smell of bay. A
bit undernourished, though.

Tree/shrub in back garden leaf 110mm long and 33mm wide. Very sweet bay
smell. This is the one I want to propogate.

It looks as though they are both edible bay (I hope).