Old 18-04-2003, 10:45 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Default Corn

FDR said:

I have a 15 by 23 foot garden (raised bed). I have a 6 by 15 section that
has strawberries in it but I am ripping them out because I have a new patch
elsewhere. I have two options: plant a cover crop or plant corn. The rest
of my garden will be tomatoes, peppers, bush beans, lettuce and broccoli.

Can I get a decent crop of corn or would a cover drop do better and then
rotate the tomatoes and peppers?

I plant my corn in 4' x 4' blocks (one plant per square foot) and have done
so for years. You have plenty of room!

I live in zone 5, central NY and according to my cooperative extension these
corn varieties are best suited for my area:

Early - Seneca Spring (BC, SE), Sprite (BC), Jester (II), Stardust (WH),
Sundance, Early Gold and Silver, Stars-`n'-Stripes (BC), Precocious, Sugar
Buns, Temptation (BC, SE), Sweet Dawn (SE), Geronimo (BC, SE), Trinity (BC,
SE), Fleet (BC, SE)

Midseason - Platinum Lady (WH), Silverado (WH), Seneca Scout, Tuxedo,
Jubilee, Pristine, Polo (BC, SE), Bandit (SH2), Double Dots (BC, SH2),
Precious Gem (BC, SE)

My own preferences are for SE types and bicolors. (The sh2 types are just
too crunchy, and not 'corny' enough for my tastes, and the 'normal' types
too time-sensitive as far as harvest and storage go.)

I plant very early, early, mid, and late season varieties in sequence. When the
very early begins to emerge, I plant the next early, and so on. This ensures
the harvests are separated enough to let us finish all of the first planting
before the next is ready, with allowance for weather. (I found early on that
just staggering the planting of one variety wouldn't do; the later plantings
especially seemed to end up all ripening at the same time.)

....and you will definitely have to protect the corn planting from squirrels and
racoons...
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)