Old 29-12-2009, 04:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
George[_14_] George[_14_] is offline

Default sweet potatoes

"brooklyn1" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 12:40:27 +1300, "George"
wrote:

"brooklyn1" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 19:34:46 +1300, "George"
wrote:

George wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
HL B123 wrote:
I am going to plant a row of yams in the spring.Forgot the
procedure about sprouting the roots (called something else) and
when to plant. any tips appreciated

Are you growing sweet potatos (ipomoea) or yams (diascorea)? I
don't know much about the latter but sweet potato need warm
conditions and full sun. In cooler areas plant after the last
frost. Given plenty of manure they will grow quickly and you will
need to water them in dry weather as the extensive leaf system
will wilt easily. If the soil is likely to get waterlogged plant
them in hills to improve drainage. I don't do anything special to
sprout the roots, if the soil is warm and damp they will grow.

plant sweet potatos in a box of moist sand and keep in a warm area
until shoots sprout from the potato. When the shoots are about 15
cm
long pull them off the potato and keep them bedded in a bucket of
moist sand and they will put down roots until you are ready to
plant
out. rob

Why?

why? because that is how sprouting sweet potato is done.

rob

OK but why do they need to be sprouted at all and why pull the sprouts
off, what purpose does it serve? Would it not be simpler to just
plant
the whole thing where it is to grow?

not sure David, I just follow the instructions passed on to me.

rob

Passed on from what authority, site your reference.

Yates Garden Guide, first published in 1885 and over 1 million copies
sold.

rob

You need to do better, no one can access the information in that book
unless they own or buy a copy or you supply an URL. You could have at
least scanned that section of your copy so folks can read the precise
account.

rotflmao

simple answer - no.

Info has been provided in good faith. Take it or leave it.

rob