Old 30-12-2009, 04:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Uncle_vito Uncle_vito is offline

Default Phal Air Roots Question

Interesting thought. I thought that too. Plant is reaching out for
something more. Aren't we all....

Vito

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
Let me jump in here. First, I've always called those vagrant roots
*aerial* roots. That's what I've heard them described as over time.
Second, the reason that some of them dry out is that they are not
adequately watered. They need a little extra care, since they don't have
media to hold moisture. Think of a Phal that's been mounted. All the roots
will be the same, because they all get the same amount of water.

Having said that, I'll tell you that many, many of our Phals have
developed large numbers of aerial roots over the last year. While there
always have been some, this is unprecedented. I mean, we're talking roots
straight up in the air, surrounding some of the plants. I believe it is
due to a certain amount of neglect due to *stuff* going on in our lives
recently. It almost appears that they are searching. And our Phals are in
Aliflor and also have healthy roots in the pots, so it's not rotting
medium.

So we take extra care to completely saturate those soaring roots, and they
are doing fine, for the most part.

Jes' sayin'.

Diana

"Ray B" wrote in message
"Prop roots"...I like that.

Seems to me that a guy wire or prop root is meant to stabilize the plant
in whatever direction it is growing, not necessarily up. Those big,
floppy leaves are probably pretty good "sails" in a breeze, so the guy
wires might help keep them attached to the base and rest of the root
system.

Ray Barkalow - First Rays LLC - www.firstrays.com
Orchid Plants, Supplies, Equipment, Books
Artwork, Free Services & Lots of Info!