Old 31-12-2009, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
lloyd lloyd is offline

Default Toms and grow bags.

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 15:25:16 +0000, Paul Luton
wrote:

On 31/12/2009 11:01, K wrote:
lloyd writes
Great success last year, well they grew for me so that is a rarity in
itself. Couple questions. I think three plants in a bag is too much,
perhaps two would be better? Could I dig a hole big enough for the bag
contents and then grow from there, or does the bag itself have some
protective role too?

If you grow in a hole, then you might find bagged up compost cheaper
than a gro-bag. Or then again you might not. A couple of years ago, I
think someone mentioned on here that one of the sheds was doing a
special offer on gro-bags which meant that, volume for volume, it was
cheaper than buying compost in bags.

Growing in the ground makes it easier to put stakes in to support the
tomatoes.

"Which" recommended source for peat-free compost is New Horizon
gro-bags. (easy to carry on a bike as well).

The folk wisdom, is that tomato plants do not do well if grown in the
same soil for several years - whether due to specific nutrient depletion
or pathogen build up is not clear.

Now you mention it is that not the way with all crops, they require
rotation? I wonder who does in their own garden?