Old 31-12-2009, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
lloyd lloyd is offline

Default Professional Urban Fox Control

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 17:21:09 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Compo in Caithness" wrote in message
\snip\
I had most of my chickens once killed by a fox in the day, when I got
home
from work it was still killing
It ran away when I saw it, leaving 22 dead and the end of my project.

Yes, anyone who can put foxes out is good.

I lost three batches of hens to the fox in quick succession - the
reason was that I had not made their run properly fox-proof and thus
it was my fault and not the fox's, who was just doing what came
natural to him/her. If I want to keep animals for my benefit I must
be prepared to secure them from predators.

I thought I had with a six foot fence, and shutting them up at dusk. I
cannot keep my hens free range now,

Why, thousands do. A six foot fence with a single electric wire at the
base will keep them at bay. If you're going to do a job do it properly
or not at all.

they have to be in huts and runs with
concrete slabs underneath, two inch weldmesh and a roof on the run because
of firking daytime foxes.

Rubbish. You do it because it suits your lazy manner.

Best not start me on the subject of foxes. A poultry keeper might view it
differently from lloyd.

Depends if they have any respect for themselves and others.

As someone who keeps chickens, the only good fox is a dead one.

That's a very sad reflection on your personality.