Old 31-12-2009, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
lloyd lloyd is offline

Default Professional Urban Fox Control

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 10:12:14 -0800 (PST), Compo in Caithness
wrote:

On 31 Dec, 14:26, lloyd wrote:
On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 04:26:00 -0800 (PST), Compo in Caithness

wrote:
On 28 Dec, 17:10, Steve Barron Steve.Barron.
wrote:
\snip\ * foxes \snip\ steal our tools *\snip
--
Steve Barron

I opened our back door in the half-light this morning and there was
mrs Fox plodding past the shed with my spade on her shoulder. *"Where
do you think you are going with my spade?" I called after her "Just
off to dig a few slugs for breakfast," she replied "I'll bring the
spade back when I've finished with it."

LOL please tell us there are more chapters to this story? I like it

\snip\

Well Lloyd, Mrs fox must have been true to her word - my spade was
sitting in its rightful place in the [former] chicken shed when I
returned from work this evening. Her relatives made short work of the
hens some time ago and we agreed that in return for not tormenting her
by parading fully protected hens in front of her, she would eat plenty
of my slugs. To this end we stopped keeping hens. We have a large
pile of branches, twigs and assorted weeds/other green things up by
the entrance to our mini-wood and she may have her home within that
mound. If I see her again I shall pass on your regards to her :-)

By the way - I work in a veterinary disease surveillance centre but
have no desire to persecute foxes; no matter what they may (or may
not) carry in the way of disease. After all, it is we humans that
carry, and pass on, many of the worst diseases known.

Indeed, as do pigeons, cats, dogs, squirrels, rats, mice, voles in
fact just about anything that ever lived. Luckily most of us wash our
hands and foods regularly. Such a simple solution.

I almost treated myself to some rescue hens last month, made all the
plans and eventually decided I could not provide them with the care or
attention they need and deserve. I shall give the starting costs to a
hen rescue centre with great blessing. Shame as I was really looking
forward to proper eggs.