Old 01-01-2010, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Compo in Caithness Compo in Caithness is offline

Default Sweet pepper longevity?

On 31 Dec 2009, 20:08, Rusty Hinge
wrote:
Compo in Caithness wrote:
On 31 Dec, 12:53, K wrote:
Compo in Caithness writes

We have a 'Californian Wonder' sweet pepper at work that has already
produced two crops of peppers since last March and is now into its
third set of flowers. *Anyone know how long a sweet pepper can live
and continue producing fruits? *Or are we now into the realm of
experimental pepper growing?
It's one of the many things which is perennial in its home country, but
which we grow as an annual because the plants doesn't like our cold dark
winters. How well it does in the next few months depends on whether you
can give it its preferred combination of warmth and light. It's possible
to keep chilli peppers going, on a bright windowsill in a warm house,
although most people reckon you get a better start next season by
growing afresh from seed. But sweet peppers seem to be even more
demanding of warmth and light.
--
Kay

I had a sneaky feeling that they are short-lived perennials but wasn't
sure. *It will be interesting to see if we can get them through the
worst of the winter weather safely......
Cheers,
Compo in Caithness

Wot-ho Compo...

I take it that it's the residual glow from Dounreay that's providing the
extra light?

--
Rusty

Give me Dounreay rather than covering the entire county with wind
turbines - anyday! Sad to sasy, Dounreay has been the best thing that
has happened to Caithness in the past century. It brought prosperity,
jobs and stability to an erstwhile dying county. There were plenty of
mistakes made and much environmental damage done - but lessons have
been learned and the industry has the potential to fill the energy gap
with an emission-free form of generation until sensible alternatives,
such as marine generators, become a viable option. The Scottish
government wrote to me admitting that there is over 20GW of potential
energy to be had from the Pentland Firth alone. All that is needed is
to stop funding wasteful wind turbines and put the money into the
marine energy pot. Rant over,
Compo in Caithness