Old 01-01-2010, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
lloyd lloyd is offline

Default Professional Urban Fox Control

On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 10:55:05 +0000, Mike wrote:

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 21:34:06 -0000, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 12:10:57 -0500, Steve Barron
wrote:

Love them or hate them, foxes cause not only damage to our lawns and
steal our tools, but are capable of transmitting diseases via their
treacle-like faeces and strong odour urine such as leptospirosis (weil's
disease) and toxocaris, not to mention the internal & external parasites
they will almost definately be carrying. Under The Abandonement Act
1960, it is illegal to release foxes once trapped; therefore, the only
humane and legal solution is to safely dispatch them. I am professional
Urban Fox Controller working in North & East London areas, spending most
of my time in schools, colleges, commercial and residential properties.
I am often called in by gardeners due to the constant digging up of
lawns and flower beds and the unpleasant fouling left behind. for more
information, my website is www.pestgo4u.com

A domestic dog has the same chance of contracting leptospirosis as a
fox .. urban or otherwise. So do we shoot stray dogs ?

Mike P

No we pay vets to inject them to protect them.

Bill. e

I agree that protects the dog ... but it does not stop it being a
carrier in the short term. eg ... dog makes contact with female
rat/fox urine .. dog licks owners hand .... owner might have a open
scratch on hand or maybe just rub his eye etc. Easily done.
I contracted Lepto whilst working on a farm in Shropshire ..not
pleasant .. the nasty beastys had become resistant to Warfarin and
were having a great time.

How many of us actually bother to wash our hands enough, especially
when working in the garden. Anthrax and all sorts in the soils. I also
have greater respect for the poor farmers who grow things, having seen
my fruits eaten ,crawled on, shat upon, peed on and so on. Not sure
I'd have anything again unless it can be peeled or split. I was
surprised at how many flies there are in the open countryside since I
started growing stuff, and noticing.