Old 01-01-2010, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge[_2_] Rusty Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default CRABs apples that is

lloyd wrote:
On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 12:13:08 +0000, K wrote:

Presumably you know that you can make a very nice fruit jelly from crab
apples, to serve with fatty meats,

No meats for me.

Exellent on hot buttered toast! (Etc)

or just to eat like jam?

A sweet tooth I have.

Made in the
usual fashion - boil the crabs

How many would you suggest for say, one jar?

till very soft, then strain through a
fine cloth or use a fruit press to extract juice,

Would a juicer do this?

No. You need to cook the whole apple including pips, or you might not
get enough pectin.

add 1lb sugar for
every pint of juice, boil until a small drop on a cold plate wrinkles
when you push it gently with your finger, then put into jars
immediately.

Thank you for that lovely recipe. This year I shall dedicate one of my
trees to this task and will call it K Jelly. Yum yum.

Two tasks already on my list for this year. Planted toms and crab
apple jam.

If you can get hold of any sort of quince, one or two of the Japanese
types or one oblongata will add a delicate flavour to the jelly.

Same goes for making stewed apple.

--
Rusty