Old 01-01-2010, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default CRABs apples that is

On 1 Jan, 20:54, K wrote:
Rusty Hinge writes

K wrote:
Rusty Hinge writes

till very soft, then strain through a *fine cloth or use a fruit
press to extract juice,
*Would a juicer do this?

No. You need to cook the whole apple including pips, or you might
not *get enough pectin.
*That's not a problem, since you don't strain or juice until after
cooking, so you already have picked up the pectin.

The whole idea of a juice-extractor is to extract the juice before
cooking, if any.

Yeah, but that wasn't the context of the discussion here. We were
talking about the stage at which you separate pulp from fruit to make a
jelly, traditionally done by straining through a jelly bag.

I don't think a juicer would get a lot out of crabs (they'd be nearly as
bad as medlars) so the best way to get the juice/flavour would be to
boil the lot till soft. And then separate the juice.

Certainly improves some crab apple jelly - especially the little green
ones which grow round here.

Ah ..I've only ever used Golden Hornet

--
Kay

The one time I got a good load of Crab apples I choped them small,
covered with water and left for a day or so then added suggar covered
with a fine cloth and lefi it for 14 days to ferment, then strained it
off into a couple of demi johns and added more suggar and left it to
ferment, turned to vinigar, which was what I wanted, great for cooking
pork.
David Hill