Old 02-01-2010, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default The New Years Day flower count

On 2010-01-02 13:03:53 +0000, said:

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Sacha
writes

Abutilon megapotanicum outdoors? Sorry, Stewart, I forget your
location. What kind of night time temps have you been getting?

-5C.

Abutilon megaopotamicum may be the hardiest of the Abutilons*, or at
least of those commonly grown. I'm not confident that the species will
survive this winter out of doors, even if there are still some flowers
on it - last winter they survived, but didn't grow away the following
summer. I keep Abutilons going from cuttings.

It should take that, at least if in a protected situation. I have
seen it in some quite cold places. It's certainly iffy, except in
the mildest parts of the UK.

My mother grew it for some years on a south-facing house wall near
Salisbury, and winters were colder then. I have seen it in Cambridge
in very sheltered gardens.

I am wondering if my Solanum crispum will come through, but I sincerely
hope that my Erythrina crista-galli does. That is partially protected,
and is now fairly well established.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

The Erythrina should be alright if it's protected and if it's not too
much of a baby. We know of someone growing one in Hampshire who lost
it last year but it was a youngster and he's having another go!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com