Old 02-01-2010, 07:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Suzanne D.[_2_] Suzanne D.[_2_] is offline

Default Planting Potatoes

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

But you wouldn't plant the seed taters on a ridge described by the OP
without the straw would you.

No, I guess not. I was being conversational at this time rather than
helpful to the OP!

The deep straw has the same effect (dark,
nutrients, moisture) as burying them, I think we are describing two ways
to do the same thing rather than opposites. I like the idea of not having
to dig them but I have plenty of soil and not so much straw.

Our soil is heavy clay, so it's hard to grow things that need a lot of
underground space. The straw method (actually lots of old mowed grass)
worked best for us. Now, if someone can tell me how to grow carrots
aboveground, I'd be very appreciative!
--S.