Old 02-01-2010, 08:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gary Woods Gary Woods is offline

Default Planting Potatoes

"Suzanne D." wrote:

Now, if someone can tell me how to grow carrots
aboveground, I'd be very appreciative!

Not exactly aboveground, but this worked well for me with some pretty big
Daikons:

Make a couple of passes down the future row with the rototiller so the soil
is nice and soft; till about 3' wide (with my soil, "soft" is relative).
Then, walking to each side of the row, pull soil to the center with a hoe.
You should wind up with a raised ridge a bit over a foot high, and much
lighter than what passes for dirt around here.
Plant along the top of the ridge. Not as much work as you might thing; I
did a couple of 30-foot rows in less than a half hour each.
The roots did famously, and I might even get brave and try carrots next
summer!