Old 02-01-2010, 04:01 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
[email protected] tnom@mucks.net is offline

Default review of pump HP

On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 08:30:54 -0800, "rb" wrote:

Need review of what horsepower does on pumps.

I have a well, 29' below where the pump will be. It now has a 2hp Sta-Rite
pump on it.

I'd like to put a 1.5hp Sta-Rite on it, because of economics.

Does the HP of the pump relate to how much suction it has, or does it relate
to the number of sprinkler heads I feed with it?

If it relates to number of heads I feed with it, I know I can get by with a
smaller number of pump HP. I have 3 sections of 4 heads ea.

A pump doesn't really suck. It just reduces the atmospheric pressure
at the inlet. The lack of atmospheric pressure at the inlet will push
water into the inlet. Atmospheric pressure is about 14.7 pounds per
square foot.

With the maximum 14.7 pounds to work with the practical maximum for
the best of pumps is about 25 feet. This 25 foot design would not be
easy to prime, and would not be easy on the impeller long term.

You would be better served with a submersible or some sort of jet
pump.