Old 02-01-2010, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default early snowdrops

On 2010-01-02 18:30:48 +0000, Pam Moore said:

I think I've asked about this before, but not got a solution.
A house near me has some very early snowdrops, which are already 2 - 3
inches high with buds showing white. They cheered my heart this
morning. There's no sign of my snowdrops yet.
These have quite wide leaves, certainly wider than galanthus nivalis.
I asked the house owner once, but he'd "inherited" them when he bought
the house and did not know the variety. I'd like to be brave enough
to ask if he thinks they need thinning!
Can anyone suggest an identification?

Pam in Bristol

No idea which variety but asking for 6 bulbs in the green and
exchanging them for something else, should be acceptable to most
gardeners. There are hundreds of snowdrop varieties, so unless you
have a tame galantophile at hand, pinning that one down might be
difficult, though the leaf might help. One nursery is offering one
bulb for £25 - as in a single bulb. Try looking at the Garden House,
Buckland Monachorum site. Matt Bishop, the head gardener there is a
big expert on Galanthus. In your local library you might find his book
on the subject, too.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com