Old 03-01-2010, 06:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Wildbilly Wildbilly is offline

Default Planting Potatoes

In article ,
"Suzanne D." wrote:

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"Suzanne D." wrote:

Now, if someone can tell me how to grow carrots
aboveground, I'd be very appreciative!

Not exactly aboveground, but this worked well for me with some pretty big
Daikons:

Make a couple of passes down the future row with the rototiller so the
soil
is nice and soft;

BZZZT! Thanks, but our soil is heavy clay, and rototilling it just compacts
it more. I never had "nice and soft" soil when I tilled it; it was only
after I stopped tilling and started to build my own soil with organic stuff
did it finally become plantable. I did try carrots in it back when it was
only clay, and they looked like little radishes!
--S.

Buckwheat, and rye can do wonders to clay soil. I grow it until May,
when I plant, cover it over with alfalfa, water, and wait two weeks
before I plant. When I pull weeds, nearly all the roots come up.
--
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.²
-Archbishop Helder Camara

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...cle%2FShowFull
http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm