Old 03-01-2010, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bobharvey bobharvey is offline

Default Planting sunflower seeds along dyke and wasteland?

On 3 Jan, 09:41, lloyd wrote:
We have some large dykes, ditches and plots of apparent wasteland
around here, in amongst lots of arable farmland. What would you think
if I were to plant some sunflower seeds evry now and again on this
land?

I did read somewhere one should never plant corn flower seeds anywhere
apartf rom your own garden as they are quite prolific once they get
started and the farmers hate them. I obviously don't want to get in to
trouble.

It's never a good idea to plant non-native species where they cannot
be controlled. it's probably not very polite to plant anything on
other people's land. If you introduce invasive weeds you could be
charged with trespass or criminal damage.

If you do want to brighten up a scrap of land, you ought to be
thinking of native wild plants. Your local wildlife trust may have
information, and possibly even sell seeds. http://www.lincstrust.org.uk/factshe...adow/index.php
- and do get the permission of the landowner