Old 03-01-2010, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Planting sunflower seeds along dyke and wasteland?

On 3 Jan, 09:46, bobharvey wrote:
On 3 Jan, 09:41, lloyd wrote:

We have some large dykes, ditches and plots of apparent wasteland
around here, in amongst lots of arable farmland. What would you think
if I were to plant some sunflower seeds evry now and again on this
land?

I did read somewhere one should never plant corn flower seeds anywhere
apartf rom your own garden as they are quite prolific once they get
started and the farmers hate them. I obviously don't want to get in to
trouble.

It's never a good idea to plant non-native species where they cannot
be controlled. it's probably not very polite to plant anything on
other people's land. *If you introduce invasive weeds you could be
charged with trespass or criminal damage.

If you do want to brighten up a scrap of land, you ought to be
thinking of native wild plants. *Your local wildlife trust may have
information, and possibly even sell seeds.http://www.lincstrust.org.uk/factshe...adow/index.php
- and do get the permission of the landowner

Go Ahead, the mice will love them and if any grow then the birds and
mice will have a feast in the autumn.
David Hill