Old 03-01-2010, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
lloyd lloyd is offline

Default Planting sunflower seeds along dyke and wasteland?

On 2010-01-03 09:41:14 +0000, lloyd said:

We have some large dykes, ditches and plots of apparent wasteland
around here, in amongst lots of arable farmland. What would you think
if I were to plant some sunflower seeds evry now and again on this
land?

I did read somewhere one should never plant corn flower seeds anywhere
apartf rom your own garden as they are quite prolific once they get
started and the farmers hate them. I obviously don't want to get in to
trouble.

The land belongs to somebody who hasn't planted it for a reason.
Whatever you plant may well become a weed to their crop and be deeply
unpopular. You really can't plant up land that doesn't belong to you
and especially not in farming regions.

Yes I think that's quite apparent now. Seems such a waste. However I
shall try and find out who owns the land and talk to them about
planting some wildlife trust approved wildflowers. The ditches are cut
once a year, and the verges twice, but the ends of the ditches are
left completely wild, so they may let us plant something there
hopefully which would be nice.