Old 03-01-2010, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default What a grey day...

On 2010-01-03 15:46:22 +0000, K said:

Gopher writes

North Dorset - glorious sunshine with just a line of distant cloud to
the S & SW. Goldfinches, Redpolls and Siskins cramming the nyjer seed
feeders with the usual squabbling. Chaffinches, Greenfinches, Sparrows
polishing off the seed and sunflower hearts at amazing speed and Great,
Blue and Coal Tits mobbing the nut feeders.

We get long tailed tits on the fat feeders. They're very good value,
since they are a lot less worried about humans than other tits are.

We saw those here for the first time last year. I'm so pleased even
though they're only occasional visitors. And whatever likes Niger
seeds isn't bothering with us much atm.

Diligently hoovering up at ground level the woodpigeons and pheasants
are ably assisted by the odd dunnock and any sparrow and chaffy
overflow. The bully boy starlings appear to be observing a New Year
resolution of better behaviour. And I haven't seen so many male
blackbirds for a long time - about 10 at any one time;

Apparently we get a big winter influx of migrant blackbirds

I've actually seen a pair thinking about courtship just this morning.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com