Old 03-01-2010, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Planting sunflower seeds along dyke and wasteland?

On 2010-01-03 09:41:14 +0000, lloyd said:

We have some large dykes, ditches and plots of apparent wasteland
around here, in amongst lots of arable farmland. What would you think
if I were to plant some sunflower seeds evry now and again on this
land?

I did read somewhere one should never plant corn flower seeds anywhere
apartf rom your own garden as they are quite prolific once they get
started and the farmers hate them. I obviously don't want to get in to
trouble.

The land belongs to somebody who hasn't planted it for a reason.
Whatever you plant may well become a weed to their crop and be deeply
unpopular. You really can't plant up land that doesn't belong to you
and especially not in farming regions.

Yes I think that's quite apparent now. Seems such a waste. However I
shall try and find out who owns the land and talk to them about
planting some wildlife trust approved wildflowers. The ditches are cut
once a year, and the verges twice, but the ends of the ditches are
left completely wild, so they may let us plant something there
hopefully which would be nice.

Good plan. I think that's the best way to go about it - talking to
them, I mean. Then, if they have a good reason for not doing it,
you'll know why and they'll appreciate being asked. OTOH, if they just
haven't go the time or inclination to plant them, they might be glad
for you to do so, if you tell them what plants you're going to use.
They might what you to be very careful not to plant anything that would
encourage birds onto their crops. We've got crow-scarers going off
round here right now.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com