Old 03-01-2010, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gopher Gopher is offline

Default What a grey day...

In message , K
writes
Sacha writes
On 2010-01-03 15:46:22 +0000, K said:

Gopher writes

North Dorset - glorious sunshine with just a line of distant cloud
to the S & SW. Goldfinches, Redpolls and Siskins cramming the nyjer
seed feeders with the usual squabbling. Chaffinches, Greenfinches,
Sparrows polishing off the seed and sunflower hearts at amazing
speed and Great, Blue and Coal Tits mobbing the nut feeders.
We get long tailed tits on the fat feeders. They're very good
value, since they are a lot less worried about humans than other tits

We saw those here for the first time last year. I'm so pleased even
though they're only occasional visitors.

That's interesting - sounds as if they're working from the north
downwards. We've had them in the area for years and in the garden for
at least 10 years. The seem so magical - you tend not to notice them
until suddenly you are in the middle of a flock of thirty, and there
they are, all around you, twittering away to each other, a matter of
feet way from you.

We get small groups of LTTs pretty often - but haven't spotted any
today. They do seem more prevalent these days than they used to be but
maybe that's my imagination; I don't know if BTO or RSPB stats support
this - perhaps Malcolm Ogilvie can advise. I feel very sorry for the
kingfishers in weather such as we are "enjoying" at present. While it's
beautiful and exhilarating, they say the cold spell could last for the
month; if this is correct I suspect the UK kingfisher population will
take a big hit. We have three ponds and they (kingfishers) give our
grandchildren (and us) great pleasure in spring and summer. Sorry - all
this ornithological prattle is rather OT .... but it is all related to
our garden so, I feel, can be justified :-))
--
Gopher .... I know my place!