Old 03-01-2010, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default What a grey day...

Sacha writes
On 2010-01-03 15:46:22 +0000, K said:

Gopher writes

North Dorset - glorious sunshine with just a line of distant cloud to
the S & SW. Goldfinches, Redpolls and Siskins cramming the nyjer seed
feeders with the usual squabbling. Chaffinches, Greenfinches, Sparrows
polishing off the seed and sunflower hearts at amazing speed and Great,
Blue and Coal Tits mobbing the nut feeders.
We get long tailed tits on the fat feeders. They're very good value,
since they are a lot less worried about humans than other tits are.

We saw those here for the first time last year. I'm so pleased even
though they're only occasional visitors.

That's interesting - sounds as if they're working from the north
downwards. We've had them in the area for years and in the garden for
at least 10 years. The seem so magical - you tend not to notice them
until suddenly you are in the middle of a flock of thirty, and there
they are, all around you, twittering away to each other, a matter of
feet way from you.

I think we've managed two pairs so far, so I won't start boasting yet.
;-) But I suddenly realised I was looking at something I hadn't seen
before and a closer look confirmed it. I'm very pleased. Our
woodpecker seems to have taken himself off altogether but the tawny
owls are still around and can be quite noisy at times. Lovely!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com