Old 18-04-2003, 01:20 PM
FDR

Default Corn

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message

My own preferences are for SE types and bicolors. (The sh2 types are just
too crunchy, and not 'corny' enough for my tastes, and the 'normal' types
too time-sensitive as far as harvest and storage go.)

I plant very early, early, mid, and late season varieties in sequence.

When the
very early begins to emerge, I plant the next early, and so on. This

ensures
the harvests are separated enough to let us finish all of the first

planting
before the next is ready, with allowance for weather. (I found early on

that
just staggering the planting of one variety wouldn't do; the later

plantings
especially seemed to end up all ripening at the same time.)

...and you will definitely have to protect the corn planting from

squirrels and
racoons...

We don't seem to have racoons here, but we do have deer in the area and
squirrels and large black crows. That makes me hesitant to try it. We have
dogs so that seems to help.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

Thanks Pat.