Old 03-01-2010, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default 'twas New Year's Day

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
news
snip or prune
Also, many bulbs were pushing through. However, the snowdrops were
showing no sign of bud, which is very late here.
Other colour was provided by berries, haws, (Pyracantha, Cotoneaster,
Roses); bark (Betula, Cornus) and some vivid leaf colour (Heuchera,
Euonymus, Cyclamen, Hedera).

Sorry I'm late with this - forgot to come out of hibernation. Brrr!

Cannot compete with that list :-) I have mostly shrubs and trees so apart
from 5 yellow roses - Golden Celebration - I think and several small red
and yellow roses hiding in the undergrowth that was it, but there is
promise of things to come

kate

:~). It is definitely the promise of things to come that cheers us ... not
just we gardeners, but most souls, I think. I must replace a few shrubs
that I recall offering a real boost to the spirit in the past. I have no
Viburnums at the moment, nor the delicate Osmanthus delavayii which budded
up early and had scent in spring.

Nevertheless, if you could look through my window and see my garden just
now, you would think it most dull. It is only when one goes out searching
every corner that hidden gems appear. That seems to be the lot of winter
gardening plants; they must give way to summer performers, and so are tucked
away in groups that, generally, only perform once a year. That, fortunately,
happens to be my winter gardening philosophy: plant winter gems that you
*must* go out and admire. If you can venture into and enjoy the winter
garden, you are much surer to start gardening in earnest before the weeds
take over and the tasks get ahead of you.

Spider