Old 03-01-2010, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gopher Gopher is offline

Default What a grey day...

In message , K
writes
Gopher writes
In message , K

We get small groups of LTTs pretty often - but haven't spotted any
today. They do seem more prevalent these days than they used to be but
maybe that's my imagination;

No, it's true. They've benefited from recent mild winters. And they
have also learnt to exploit garden feeding station, so not only have
they increased in numbers, they are also easier to see.

I feel very sorry for the kingfishers in weather such as we are
"enjoying" at present. While it's beautiful and exhilarating, they say
the cold spell could last for the month; if this is correct I suspect
the UK kingfisher population will take a big hit.

Long tailed tits will too.

We have three ponds and they (kingfishers) give our grandchildren (and
us) great pleasure in spring and summer. Sorry - all this
ornithological prattle is rather OT .... but it is all related to our
garden so, I feel, can be justified :-))

BTO on long tailed tits:
http://www.bto.org/gbw/PUBLICATIONS/...BT42_8-9LR.pdf

and kingfisher:
http://blx1.bto.org/birdfacts/result...310.htm#Trends